Overdue baby blues 40+4

Is overdue baby blues a ‘thing’? If not, it should be.

The last 2 days have been ridiculously hard.  The whole way through pregnancy I’ve worked hard to keep my chin up – everything was always fine.
Now I feel like I’ve been hit by a ton of bricks.  I just want to sit and cry. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this uncomfortable in my life and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Perhaps that’s why.  I admit I’m somewhat of a control freak – I plan and organise.  I’m always early (or at the very least, on time).
So maybe my current blues is my brains way of having a strop that things aren’t going my way and perhaps I need to relax into it a bit.

I’m hoping that by doing some baking today I’ll relax and stop my brain from doing silly things.  At most, I’m 3 days away from meeting my baby (unless the hospital suddenly gets overrun by women in labour).  The end is in sight.


The magic number – 40

Happy due date to me…


Celebrated yesterday by having a mildly uncomfortable sweep at my consultant appointment.  Definitely felt slightly violated but it’s a mean to an end.  I’m not sure my cervix was particularly favourable but it’s worth a try.
Felt uncomfortable all evening and then had some mild period-like cramps but they seem to have disappeared.
I’m hoping that was the start of at least ripening my cervix a little.

I’m so glad I had the appointment though.  We finally have a plan in place so stop me going so far overdue.  I think they’ve finally realised that potentially my size and baby may be incompatible – technically it means baby is thriving as according to bump measurements, baby is over 8lb but I know they’re pretty notoriously wrong, but regardless, looking at my size I am convinced I have a chunky monkey about to come out of me.
The consultant added to my notes that shoulder dystocia is a possibility so he’s already identified that a plan b may be needed, but we’ll try for a ‘natural’ birth first and see what happens.
Initially my thoughts were that I don’t want an emergency c-section but this is a happy medium; we have plan a and plan b identified.

In other news, yesterday I woke up with stretch marks on my belly… look away now if it’s too much information…massively bulbous belly with war wounds:


Any road, the end is in sight.  I’m looking forward to meeting this chunky monkey and discovering the personality of this troublemaker.

I’m also rather looking forward to parma ham and an alcoholic beverage.  May have to ask my mum to put some in my fridge for whenever we arrive home with baby.

39+2, trying all the old wives tales

So far this week I’ve covered off curry and raspberry leaf tea.

Today is the day for fresh pineapple.


Once I’m done eating I’ll get on my ball again.  Baby still hasn’t started to engage yet though, but definitely getting some unusual pains occasionally and had some period-like pains last night whilst going to sleep.

Honestly I’m done waiting on baby.
I’m also trying making plans so that baby might interrupt, so my sister is on holiday in Ireland and I’ve pre-booked tickets to see Deadpool in IMax tomorrow… I figure if nothing else that might make baby come.

37 weeks

Well I am fed up.

Baby has been measuring over the 90th centile constantly on growth scans and is currently estimated to be 6.99lb.  Unless baby comes soon, I will have a big baby.

We saw a consultant (turns out it was a registrar as my consultant isn’t available for 9 weeks). They highlighted concerns that my pelvis might not be big enough for baby as it hasn’t started engaging yet.  This was always a concern for me and a possible concern for my midwife.
We were told to come back next week where, if baby isnt starting to engage, she would consider a c-section.

Hooray I thought, we have a plan in place (which is what my midwife wanted).  They then suggested a random blood test to check for gestational diabetes. 

So we’re booking our next consultant appointment and get called in again by someone new. 
A different consultant has looked at my notes, determined I’m probably not high risk even if baby is big and I need to have a glucose tolerance test next week.

So in the space of 2 mins I’ve been told that im a/possibly high risk, we’re addressing your concerns and will see you next week, to b/probably not high risk but we’ll do a glucose tolerance test to be sure.

Meaning that now I have to try and get an appointment with my community midwife next week… and there’s none available as it’s  now short notice.

Throughout my pregnancy I’ve always been thinking that the NHS is amazing.
Not so anymore.  They don’t seem to understand the impact this all had on me – unnecessary stress and worry when I finally felt we were getting somewhere.

My concern is about baby getting stressed if it can’t get into my pelvis… yet the consultant who didn’t see me (only read my notes) doesn’t see it as a problem.

When I got home I read up on glucose tolerance tests.
Apparently after 36 weeks the results are unreliable anyway and a random test should be used.

So seems the registrar might have actually been right but instead I’m now in limbo, again, with a test that might not show anything even if I do have gestational diabetes.

On the growth scans I believe at some points it was indicating baby’s size is 40w1 so I’m hoping my body will make some attempts at starting labour soon, even if baby can’t engage.